Sunday, November 25, 2012

What's This?

The last time I posted, Trent had to go to the dentist to have a tooth pulled. It went well and the dentist informed me that she really has no idea how long those baby teeth will stay in his mouth. We just keep praying.

When Trent was around 7 or 8, he was diagnosed with JRA (juvenile rheumatoid arthritis). He eventually outgrew that for the most part, although at times his joints would hurt. Some years ago, the doctors said that he had outgrown the JRA and diagnosed him with psoriatic arthritis.

I took Trent off of sugar around a year and a half ago. He has lost almost 30 pounds and has kept it off. He weighed 168 when he began and now weighs around 139 pounds. The main reason I took him off of sugar is because he struggled with boils. All the doctors ever did was to give him medication to put on his boils to help heal them up. I wanted something that was preventative. I tried various things and the elimination of sugar seemed to help incredibly...until several months ago.

The boils have come back, but not to the extent that they had before. His bigger problem has been a strange rash, especially around the right side of his mouth. It comes from time to time, sometimes every few days, but usually we can clear it up within two to three days.

Last Sunday, the rash started again in the same place. I knew that he had pizza the night prior to that when he had attended a special rec activity. But I figured we could clear it up in a day or two---WRONG!

It is bigger and redder than ever no matter what we do. Sometimes besides the patch by his mouth, his right cheek becomes quite red.  I have been at a loss and have asked God for wisdom about what to do, what kind of doctor to call, and what this could possibly be. God answered and gave me the wisdom for which I asked.

I realized that he had been complaining about pain the last several weeks. Trent doesn't complain about pain unless he is REALLY hurting. After being in remission, his arthritis is flaring up again. And if that isn't bad enough, so is the psoriasis that we thought was long gone. After looking up some pictures on line, I know that is what the problem is.

It's so hard for us as parents of a child with special needs to see them go through so much emotional turmoil and then add the physical problems, too.  This is something that I must cast upon the Lord. I need to find a rhematologist who will take his Medicare and Medicaid. I'm trusting God, but I'm asking you to please pray for him.

He is able to do so many things--cutting the grass, raking the leaves, driving the garden tractor to clean up the snow...and he loves his job at Bob Evans Restaurant. He is an amazing young man and I am praying that he will go ino remission soon so that he can continue to do the things he so enjoys.

When we have a child with special needs, the concerns never end. But I know we have a Heavenly Father Who cares and loves all of us. And I am sure that those with special needs are very special to Him indeed.

And so we must continue on. Praising and thanking God for His Goodness, knowing that He always knows what He is doing and that He already has the problem under His control.

No comments: