Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sharing with Others

Recently I ran into someone I have known for several years. She is one who has gone through many, many physical trials and had some painful surgeries. She never complains and always gives God the glory for everything. She likes to be upbeat and positive all the time and she does a wonderful job of it.

When I got home, I began to think about her situation. I know some people who never seem to complain and are wonderful examples of trusting God and accepting what He allows in their lives. I have great admiration for them. But I also believe that there are times that we need to share the difficult things--the times that we are down in the valley. There are so many hurting people out there, and they need to know that others have gone through or are going through the same thing that they are facing.

This last February I was asked to speak at a workshop. It was for people who have a ministry with those who have special needs. As I was speaking, I noticed a couple sitting to my right in the second row. They had tears in their eyes. Afterwards I found out that a statement I had made had really encouraged them. I simply shared that special needs ministry was a very difficult ministry and many times it was also a slow-growing ministry. I also shared some of the obstacles and heartaches through which my husband and I had gone. Afterwards they told me how they had felt the same way and many times had felt like giving up, but that it was so encouraging to hear how someone else had gone through something so similar.

Afterwards, others thanked me and told me how they related to what I had said.

We can encourage people by sharing the hurt we are facing or have faced. It is wonderful to give our testimony to others about what God has done and is doing for and through us. But sometimes we fail to tell about the difficult things--the pain, the sorrow, the discouragement, and that oh, so alone, feeling, How about you? Think about those who have been the most encouragement to you throughout your life. Was it someone that seemingly lived a wonderful Christian life and even in times of trials and trouble always seemed to be positive? Or was it someone who was willing to share the whole truth--of being down in the valley--and how God took them up to the mountain?

1 comment:

Margie said...

It seems to me that sooner or latter every Christian will have some kind of heavy trial... the Bible says if you don't you may not be His child... therefore when I am going through whatever the "growth experience" may be I am so grateful to know someone has walked in those shoes before me.. what better example do I need... the entire
Bible is full of people's "experiences" both good and bad.. Thank you Cindy for such wise words.. You are a gifted writer. I always learn from whatever you write. God bless you with many, many more words of wisdom!!