Thursday, June 23, 2011

PAY BA-A-ACK!!!

Today I have two of my grandsons spending time at our house. Brandon is the son of my son, Brad, and Andrew is the son of my son, Brett.

I have been in the process of going through pictures, trying to organize them, so that I can put together some scrapbooks.

When the boys wandered into the room where I had been working and saw some of the pictures on the table, they began to ask questions. Then they looked at the different boxes with the names on them, and each of them wanted to see what was inside of the box with his father's name on it. I obliged them.

But more important than the pictures were boxes marked "report cards." They couldn't wait to see what kind of grades their dads had. Boy, did I ever open a can of worms!!!!

Twelve-year-old Andrew, who just finished 6th grade quickly grabbed his dad's 6th grade report card.

"What!" he said. "I just got in trouble for bringing home one C on my report card and here my dad has five D-s!" We enjoyed a good laugh together. "Ha! It's time for Payback!" I said. What fun it can be to be a grandmother!

Brett struggled in public school--especially in junior high. We thought he just wasn't getting it! But the truth was, he was a bright child who was very bored! We discovered this when he went to Christian high school and did very well. They were able to challenge him.

The strange thing is, that today as I looked at that 6th grade report card, something else came to me--something that suddenly became so clear. There was another reason why Brett did so poorly in the 6th grade.

I believe that report card reflected something deep inside of him--something which was the result of having a sibling with special needs.

In my next post, I will share what this was.

No comments: