Thursday, March 5, 2009

Trusting God through Scary Times

Have you had an opportunity in which you needed to trust God today? I mean REALLY trust him? Has your faith been tested? How did you do?

We look around at the things that are happening in our world. Those of us who know our Bible know that things do not look good. The signs are there--the failing economy, the failure of our leadership to take a stand for right, the promiscuity in these days, to name only a few. How then do we trust God? I mean REALLY trust Him?

We must recognize that God is sovereign. Nothing escapes the attention of God. There is nothing that is so great that it can be beyond His power to control it. This lesson is especially important to me.

A few years ago, Don and I went through a time of testing that lasted about a year and a half. There were times that I said, "Why God, why? Why can't this end?" It wasn't going to end until we learned what God had for us to learn. It was a horrible thing to go through and yet, we knew that God was in control.

Now again we are facing a situation that demands for us to trust God. I want to share this because I feel there are many others out there who will be facing a similar situation.

Last Friday Don called me from work to tell me that he had just been laid off. He has been there for 35 years. He has no pension. When Don started work there, we didn't think about a pension--we were young and naive. By the time we began to consider that he should have a job with a pension, we had Trent. Trent had pre-existing conditions, so Don couldn't change jobs or Trent would have had no medical insurance. In the earlier years, he had some serious medical conditions. Needless to say, any money we were able to invest in the stock market has sadly dwindled down. So...how are we handling this?

We are trusting God. God has never let us down and He is not going to let us down now. I think back to an incident that happened when we had been married for only a few years.

Don was a baker at the time and he worked nights. He usually got home around 11:00 a.m. We had dinner and then he went to bed. He drove about 36 miles each way to work. On this particular day, a Wednesday, when he arrived home, he asked me if I had any money. I told him I had nothing. With that he replied, "I only have enough gas to get to work one time, so I'll have to take tomorrow off, and then go to work on Friday (pay day). I can't afford to take the day off, but I don't know what else to do." He went to bed and I put Brad down for his nap.

That afternoon I decided to go down to the basement and go through a box of some things I had saved from before we were married. I don't know why, I suppose it was to get my mind off of the problem. I had already asked God to work it out.

In that box of items was an old wallet of mine. I opened it up and I could not believe my eyes! There was a five dollar bill in it--more than enough to buy gas for him to get back and forth to work for those two days.

I can't help but think how God in His sovereignty had me leave the money in that wallet and then forget about it. And that wasn't enough!! He also put it in my mind to go through that box on that particular day, after it had been there untouched for a few years!!!

The greatest thing about that time is that I have never forgotten the incident. It has reminded me that God will always takes care of us and that He is in control!

If you know Jesus Christ as your own personal Savior, you can trust Him for everything. He is sovereign and He is Lord of all!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Oh Mrs. Evans! I am so sorry about your husband getting laid off, I had no idea! Your family will be in my prayers.

What a good story about trusting God. It has convicted me about trusting Him more. Making the choice to trust Him.